Here at Icon Composites, we take our products very seriously. We believe that the best materials and the finest craftsmen are vital to creating the highest quality products.
Open Mold / Polyester
Typical process for cheap, imported products.
- Polyester Styrene is toxic
- May times, the carbon fiber is a thin layer added on top of traditional fiberglass, making the product heavier than even a traditional fiberglass part.
- It is easy to get pulled fibers and a bad weave (see above image)
- For cost savings, they can omit internal support structures, leaving a weaker product
- This also makes it more prone to warping over time
- The polyester resin is prone to have shrikage issues
- Cheap molds can lead to poor fitment
- Cheap clear coats have poor UV protection
- Lower quality control can lead to exposed, or non-existant mounting tabs.
- Thing, weak mounting tabs can be prone to breakage
- Acuring times can vary, it is very easy to get warpage issues
- Poor tooling can over, or under trim the piece, leading to poor fitment
- Cheap, poor quality hardware like T-nuts and self-tapping layers can lead to messy, inconsistent mounting.
- Cheap, thin molds can cause warping issues
Vacuum Infusion / Epoxy
The Icon Composite way
- Epoxy resin is non-toxic
- Special bonding agent and vacuum infusioin process minimizes necessary bonding agent and can result in parts that can be 50% lighter and stronger
than cheaper made carbon fiber products
- Vacuum infusion process ensures high tensile strength
- Thick, high-quality molds ensures OEM-level fitment
- Where possible, all Icon products use blind, double-kneral inserts for mounting, providing strength and longevity
- High-quality epoxy resin and clear coating offers superior UV protection
- Where possible, added internal support structures are made from strong, light materials for increased strength
- All Icon Composite products use OEM mounting hardware wherever possible, ensuring clean fitments
- Exact tooling and experienced craftsmen equates to consistent, proper fitment
- Every Icon Composites product is hand finished, wet-sanded, and buffed to a gloss finish
- Every part that is made undergoes our White Glove Hand Inspection process to ensure the highest quality products